What if I cannot afford to pay for my private sewer connection?

All Phase 1 property owners will have the opportunity to finance their private property connection cost through an Expanded Use Loan agreement with the District. Similar to the Assessment District loan, the Expanded Use Loan would be placed as a levy on your property, which allows you to make payments towards your costs for over 30 years at a 1.8% interest rate. (The cost of hooking up to the sewer is an additional cost and not included in your sewer assessment, but this cost may be financed along with any other required administration fees.)

If you are 62 years of age or older, occupy your single-family residence and meet eligibility requirements you may be eligible to receive a 504 grant through the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for up to $7,500. Contact your local USDA office in Indio, CA for more information.

Show All Answers

1. Who will be responsible for the installation of individual private property connections?
2. Will I have to connect my house to the sewer?
3. When will connections begin?
4. How long will my sewer service be disconnected during this process?
5. What are the requirements of installing the private property connection?
6. Can I install my own private property connection?
7. Can the cost of hooking up to the sewer be financed or must owners pay cash?
8. How do I apply to finance my private property connection costs or get a grant?
9. What if I am unable to connect to the sewer within the time frame provided?
10. What if I cannot afford to pay for my private sewer connection?
11. Where can I find an online form or more information about connecting to the sewer?
12. Are there other costs I will need to pay for besides the connection cost?